This blog is dead

Thursday, April 28, 2005

One of those moments

I was driving on Magnolia yesterday, on my way to a student newspaper board meeting at U of L, when I saw a woman running to catch the Fourth Street bus as it pulled away from its stop and headed downtown.

I almost typed “running frantically” just now, except for the fact that she had this enormous smile on her face. A smile so huge and glowing that it made me stop and take notice of her well beyond a glance from the corner of my eye. She was in her mid-40s and really quiet lovely, dressed in a very smart business suit, complete with high heels. If I were running in heels, there’s no way I’d be smiling like that. If I were catching a bus to go to my office job – instead of sliding into my comfortable mid-level four-door for a mile-long drive to work – I’d be less inclined to smile, as well.

I forced myself to be in a better mood than usual at the board meeting.

No comments: