This blog is dead

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

It would be funny if it weren’t true

vengeful movie tripe

In my lonely quest to find others who dislike Sin City as much as I do, I found this gem at the site One Man's Opinion, via the nexus Rotten Tomatoes:

“It’s the bad-boy equivalent of Francis Ford Coppola’s One From the Heart.”

Really, this is on the cusp of unhealthy obsession for me. I pulled out my trade of the original Sin City storyline and re-read it last night, to see if I’ve just gotten older than even I suspected, and consequently less patient with hysterical exercises of form over substance.

It’s a little bit of that, to be sure. It also occurs to me that comic books – apologies for not adopting “graphic novel” or the more ludicrous affectation “graphic journalism;” if it was good enough for Will Eisner, it’s good enough for Harvey Pekar, damn it – are just a more palatable media for self-indulgent hyperbole.

No comments: