This blog is dead

Friday, March 25, 2005

Doctor, catch something incurable

petty tripe

I went to a new doctor this afternoon.

I haven't had a regular physician for a few years, since my general practitioner quit active practice to go full-time into hospital administration. I generally don't like doctors, and I certainly don't like going to doctors, for the obvious reasons.

I began shopping for a new doctor about a week ago, after a spell on an airplane gave me a case of the cardiac heebie-jeebies. After being rebuffed by about 10 practices that weren't taking new patients, I finally just ran across the river to get an EKG at an urgent care center; well worth the $25 extra bucks.

Just to cover the bases, I did make an appointment with a GP about two blocks from my house. The booking was for 2:45. I got into the examination room about 3:45. Our initial session lasted about 15 minutes, and the guy asked me all of four questions. My posture is only slighty better than Marty Feldman's, and the guy didn't even notice. I had to force-feed him any information about me, and he must have checked his watch 10 times -- had to get to those five other overbooked patients, I guess.

Makes the urgent care center look better all the time.

Why do we put up with this?

No comments: